As an entrepreneur or small business owner, you’re always looking for ways to stand out in your industry and attract new customers. One effective way to do this is by creating a pillar post. In this post, we’ll explore what a pillar post is, why it’s important, and how to create one that provides value to your audience and helps your business succeed.
What is a Pillar Post?
A pillar post is a comprehensive, in-depth piece of content that covers a broad topic related to your industry or niche. It’s called a “pillar” post because it serves as a foundational piece of content on your website, providing a wealth of information and resources for your audience to explore. Pillar posts are typically longer than your average blog post, with a word count of 2,000 to 5,000 or more.
Why Pillar Posts Matter?
Pillar posts are important for several reasons. First, they establish your business as an authority in your industry. By providing comprehensive, well-researched information on a specific topic, you demonstrate to your audience that you’re knowledgeable and experienced in your field. This can help build trust with your audience and establish your business as a go-to resource for information.
Second, pillar posts can improve your website’s search engine rankings. By targeting specific keywords related to your industry or niche, you can help your post rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs), driving more traffic to your website.
Third, pillar posts can be a valuable resource for your audience. By providing comprehensive information on a topic, you’re helping your audience solve a problem or answer a question they may have. This can help build loyalty and trust with your audience, which can lead to more business down the line.
How to Create a Pillar Post
Now that we’ve established what a pillar post is and why it’s important, let’s dive into how to create one.
Step 1: Choose a Topic
The first step in creating a pillar post is to choose a topic. Your topic should be broad enough to provide comprehensive information, but narrow enough to be specific. You may want to do some keyword research to see what topics are popular in your industry, and what your target audience is searching for.
Some examples of pillar post topics for small businesses might include:
- “The Ultimate Guide to Small Business Marketing”
- “How to Build a Successful Online Store for Your Small Business”
- “The Top 10 Business Books Every Entrepreneur Should Read”
Step 2: Research Your Topic
Once you’ve chosen a topic, it’s time to research it. This may involve reading industry publications, conducting interviews with experts in your field, or reviewing case studies and research reports. Your goal is to become an expert on your topic, so you can provide comprehensive, accurate information in your post.
Step 3: Create an Outline
Before you start writing your post, create an outline. This will help you organize your thoughts and ensure your post is well-structured and easy to read. Your outline should include:
- An introduction that sets the stage for your post and introduces your topic
- Several subheadings that break down your topic into smaller sections
- Conclusion that summarizes your main points and provides a call to action for your readers
Step 4: Write Your Post
Now it’s time to start writing your post. As you write, keep your target audience in mind, and make sure your post provides value to them. Use a confident and authoritative voice, and include examples and case studies to help illustrate your points.
Step 5: Optimize Your Post for Search Engines
To help your post rank higher in search engine results, make sure it’s optimized for search engines. This may involve including relevant keywords
in your post, optimizing your title and meta description, and including internal and external links to other relevant content on your website and around the web.
Step 6: Promote Your Post on Social Media
Once your post is published, it’s time to promote it on social media. Share it on all your social media platforms, and consider running paid ads to drive more traffic to your post. You may also want to reach out to other bloggers and influencers in your industry and ask them to share your post with their audience.
Pillar Post Examples for Startups
To help you get a better idea of what a pillar post looks like, let’s explore some examples from startups and small businesses.
- “The Ultimate Guide to Small Business Accounting” by FreshBooks
This post from FreshBooks provides comprehensive information on small business accounting, including bookkeeping basics, tax tips, and software recommendations. The post is well-structured, easy to read, and includes plenty of examples and resources for readers to explore.
- “The Top 100 SaaS Companies of 2021” by SaaStock
This post from SaaStock provides a comprehensive list of the top 100 SaaS companies of 2021, including information on their products, funding, and growth. The post is well-researched and provides valuable information for anyone interested in the SaaS industry.
The Benefits of Pillar Posts for Small Business Owners
So, what are the benefits of creating pillar posts for your small business? Here are a few key benefits to consider:
- Establish Your Authority in Your Industry: By creating a comprehensive, well-researched pillar post, you can demonstrate your expertise in your industry and establish yourself as a thought leader in your field.
- Improve Your Search Engine Rankings: By targeting specific keywords and optimizing your post for search engines, you can improve your website’s search engine rankings and drive more traffic to your site.
- Build Loyalty and Trust with Your Audience: By providing valuable, in-depth information on a specific topic, you can build loyalty and trust with your audience, which can lead to more business down the line.
Creating Effective Pillar Posts for Niche Markets
Finally, if you’re targeting a niche market, it’s important to create pillar posts that speak directly to your audience. Here are a few tips for creating effective pillar posts for niche markets:
- Focus on Specific Topics: Instead of trying to cover broad topics, focus on specific topics that are of interest to your niche audience. This will help you provide more targeted, valuable information.
- Use Language Your Audience Understands: Make sure to use language and terminology that your audience is familiar with. This will help you connect with them on a deeper level and build trust.
- Include Examples and Case Studies: Including examples and case studies can help illustrate your points and provide real-world examples of how your audience can apply your advice.
In summary, pillar posts are an excellent way for small businesses and entrepreneurs to establish their authority and provide valuable information to their target audience. By following the steps outlined in this post, you can create effective pillar posts that attract traffic, improve your search engine rankings, and build loyalty with your audience.
Remember to choose a specific topic, conduct thorough research, and structure your post in a way that is easy to read and navigate. Use subheadings, bullet points, and images to break up your content and make it more engaging. Finally, promote your post on social media and other relevant channels to drive traffic and engagement.
By creating pillar posts that provide value and expertise to your audience, you can establish yourself as a thought leader in your industry, build trust with your audience, and grow your business over time. So why not start today and create a pillar post for your small business or startup?